Get Wild, Right in Your Own Backyard!
Getting outside is fun. But, it’s really more than just a good time. Here are five reasons you should get outside today:
- Enhance creativity – exposure to nature can improve your ability to think creatively in complex situations.
- Relieve stress – forget life’s worries and decrease your risk for depression and other mental illnesses in as little as 90 minutes outdoors.
- Get fit – outdoor exercise can be more of a workout and more enjoyable than hitting the gym.
- Improve concentration – children with ADHD who play in open spaces have milder symptoms than those who play in structured outdoor areas or indoors.
- Boost your immune system – nature has huge, broad effects on health which may all be linked to how our immune systems positively react to the state of relaxation caused by spending time outside.
TLC Connects People With Nature
Explore TLC’s Nature Preserves and feel the positive impacts of getting outside! Our six public nature preserves are open for you to explore for free every day of the year from dawn to dusk. See just how close our preserves are to your own backyard.
Interested in exploring new places, trying new activities, or meeting new people? Check out our expanding list of events and outings. Whether you’re a kid, artist, hiker, birder, photographer or just an outdoor enthusiast, we probably have an event for you, and most are free or have a minimal charge. Explore our upcoming events.
You can make a difference by volunteering with TLC. Donate your time and talents to protecting the places we love and the land we need. We have numerous volunteer opportunities both outdoors and indoors for all ages and abilities. Find the volunteer role for you.
Explore new places, challenge yourself, and win fun prizes by participating in TLC’s Hiking Challenge. Conquer the challenge at your own pace – there’s no time limit, and you can choose to go it alone, with family, or invite a friend. Learn more about the Hiking Challenge.
Protect the wild for you and your community to enjoy now and in the future. Become a TLC member and get special opportunities to explore the wild like members-only hikes and access to properties not open to the general public. Learn how you can become a member today.