Tips for Year-End Giving
- For tax savings in 2021, you need to make your gift by December 31, which this year falls on a Friday. Checks sent by mail need to have a December 31 postmark. Our address: Triangle Land Conservancy, 514 S. Duke Street, Durham, NC 27701.
- TLC’s Tax Identification Number: 58-1514406
- Gifts given online can be complete on December 31.
- If you are 70½ and older, charitable gifts from your IRA may be advisable. Congress allows an individual to give up to $100,000 from their required distributions tax free to charity. Charitable IRA gifts bypass taxes and also count towards your minimum required distribution. To make a QCD donation to TLC visit our portal on FreeWill, where you’ll be guided through the donation process in under 10 minutes.
- Giving stock or securities that have increased in value may provide greater tax savings than cash. Here’s the information you need to give stocks or securities to TLC. These must be requested by December 27th to count in the 2021 tax year.
- Gifts through wills, trusts, insurance policies, retirement plans and other long-range financial plans all can be ways to support your charitable interests, including TLC. We’ve partnered with FreeWill to make planned giving easier than ever and completely free. FreeWill’s tool allows you to write a will online, and only takes 20 minutes to complete your legally valid plans. Visit FreeWill.com/TriangleLand to get started today. If you would like to set up a time to discuss other planned giving options please contact Christine Wilson, TLC’s Director of Advancement.
- Don’t forget “matching gifts” from your employer, which can double and in some cases, triples the value of your gift.
- Additional ways to support TLC include: signing up as a TLC Steward, monthly donor, gifting a TLC membership for the land-lover in your life, Become a friend to Williamson Preserve, or you can check out our Other Ways to Give page for more options.
- Ask your financial advisors which methods of giving are best for you.
Your support sets the pace for land conservation across our region. Many important landscapes are on the line and development in the Triangle is quickening. By choosing to prioritize a gift to TLC, you demonstrate the importance of preserving open space, safeguarding access to clean drinking water, conservation of family farms, and stewardship of wild places for recreation and contemplation. Your gift is a gift to the community. Thank you for generously supporting the protection of our natural resources of the places that you love today and for generations to come.